This Will Characterize a Christian

(remember: I am growing toward Christian maturity - and this is one of the excellent things I am blessed to pursue)


sympathy (as in 1 Pt 3:8)

having a fellow feeling with, having like feelings

experiencing pain jointly of the same kind
(specifically persecution)

suffering with another - being mutually commiserative

being affected similarly

(and this leading to, involving) having compassion on them


note: sympathy has a biblical origin (suffering with someone similarly)

note: empathy has its origins in worldly psychology (thought to be the ability to project oneself into another person's miseries and experience their suffering)

1 comment:

  1. I desire to speak biblically. I have used the word empathy ignorantly. I am glad to know the origin of this word so I can eliminate it from my speech.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! :)